Saturday, August 22, 2015

Easy Off

I was commissioned to paint a custom model of CLG Surfer's Blue Moon by a fellow owner. She was almost done and I really liked her paint job. She just needed details to be done. So I decided to do a matte seal layer. But once I sprayed, I realized that there was a weird foggy film and some of the paint began to come off.

While I really liked the eyes, I couldn't preserve the paint so it was time to strip. Not clothes. Paint. I ran out and grabbed Easy-Off.
I sprayed the foal's body with Easy-Off (this has a very strong smell...fyi) and put her into a plastic bag to sit.
I checked on her every 20-30 minutes. I didn't want the easy off to eat through the plastic! After about 1 1/2-2 hours the paint was coming off and I washed the model off. The paint left is the original paint (a lot of that came off too during stripping). So it's back to square one, but I'm glad the stripping went just as planned. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that! I wonder what happened...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've always wondered if that worked! I'll have to try it on my older bad acrylic customs...

    ReplyDelete